A plaque that caught the eye

This plaque caught my eye some time ago, particularly the name Lucock.

When I started in radio in a Taree in 1985, I worked Sunday night. The station manager explained more cattle than humans would be listening at the time.

Every Sunday night the doorbell at the studios would ring and in would come this large, imposing and stately man, Reverend Lucock. He would deliver a service over the radio. I had to ‘panel’ for him as in operate the mic, mixer/desk and reel to reel tapes. The VU meters would bounce into the red, the desk would shake as he thumped the desk and his mind went to another place when he spoke. It was quite an experience for a 19 year old kid fresh from the city. 

I never thought of him again until I saw this plaque a year or two back on my twice daily dog walk.

Reverend Lucock was a member of federal parliament from 1952 to 1980. He was a Country Party member, now called the National Party. He was around in the days when the Country/National Party used power for purpose and not power for politics and privilege as they do today.

My friend Gregory John White tells more in the comments below.

I should add, this church is rarely used these daysmakes its space available for rent. Last I saw it was being used for pole dancing classes, among other things. Old Phil would be turning in his grave.

Comments from Greg White

Phil was the Member for Lyne and Country Party Whip for years.

Was also one of the founding fathers of 2RE and chairman of the board when I started before Oz Sutherland took over.

Phil was a terrific bloke although once they knew I was a Labor man it was made very plain I should never make that public if I liked my job.

He did two Sunday night shows which were recorded that afternoon…Reverie, which was his religious show for the Presbyterian Church of which he was the Wingham boss…and, News And Views, which was straight out of the far right playbook.

Phil would leave long gaps between utterances and there were plenty of blokes panelling who thought he had finished and cut it off.

You only did that once before Hughie put you right.

The trick was to wait until the end words: “Good evening (long silence) listeners.”

The first thing I ever recorded in 1972 was the open/close for it – in a very high voice- that Brassell told he survived until well into the 80’s, so you would have probably played it.

Ah, such nostalgia.